Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Bird songs

"Mom, the birds were singing this morning!" Markus exclaimed as I dropped him off near his school recently. He went on to imitate the different sounds he heard while walking our dog around our complex. He sounded quite delighted.

"Oh, they're having a worship service," I replied.

After my usual parting words ("Bye, take care, lab-lab"), I drove off and recalled one of my nature walks at Green Timbers Park with my husband. In Green Timbers, you will hear a chorus of bird songs and bird calls any time of day, especially at this time of the year.

"Ano kayang sinasabi nila? (What could they be saying?)" I asked hubby.

"They're having a worship service," he said.

That stuck in my head.

I have no difficulty imagining the birds singing to their Creator, shouting praises from their depth of their syrinx.

"Tweeet tweeet tweeet tweeeeeet."
That might well be Hallelujah!! in bird language.












In Psalm 148 it says,

Praise the LORD from the earth,
you great sea creatures and all ocean depths,

lightning and hail, snow and clouds,
stormy winds that do his bidding,

you mountains and all hills,
fruit trees and all cedars,

wild animals and all cattle,
small creatures and flying birds...


Practically all nature is praising God. Not just the birds. There's a pure and genuine worship explosion going on around us.

Shhh... stop, look, listen...

But wait, people are supposed to be doing likewise. Read on.

kings of the earth and all nations,
you princes and all rulers on earth,

young men and maidens,
old men and children.

Let them praise the name of the LORD,
for his name alone is exalted;
his splendor is above the earth and the heavens.


Praising the Creator should be an integral part of our lives instead of whining, griping, defying, denying, rejecting, crucifying... What thankless creatures we are.

I don't know about you, but I wish I could be more like the birds and the bees, the flowers and the trees...

This spring until the weather permits it, I plan to spend more time outdoors, do more nature tripping. I do not want to worship nature. I want to worship with it.


(Illustrations by my husband published in the book, Encounter With Paradise)

No comments: