Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Love Letters, 1949 - Advocate

The day after the previous letter, my mother gave birth to a son, my only brother, who was affectionately called Junior by my father in this and succeeding letters. My father went home to Los Banos and spent a few days with my mother before going back to UP Diliman.

When he went back to U.P. he was greeted by a problem arising from a misinformation that had reached their chief, a very stern and upright man, it seems, whom everyone feared. Apparently, one of my father's co-workers had gotten married secretly unbeknownst to their boss, whom my father referred to as Apo, an Ilocano term for an older and respected man.

The rumour was that this coworker was living in with a woman, which seems to be unacceptable for policemen at the time, or at least for this police unit. Extramarital relations were considered a serious offense. It looks like Apo was very mad and the guy concerned was in big trouble, and everyone else was affected. Now comes my father, their only hope to speak to the boss for them and iron out the mess...

University of the Philippines
Diliman, Quezon City
September 25, 1949

Mahal Kong Ling,

Bago ko ipagpatuloy ang pagbabalita ay hayaan mo munang kumustahin ko muna ikaw, si Junior, si Fremma, at kayong lahat diyan. At bago mo ipagpatuloy ang pagbasa ay tanggapin mo muna ang tangi kong pabaun sa aking mapagmahal kong liham, ang maraming halik ko sa iyo.

Ling, awa naman ng Dios ay natulungan ko rin si Lazaro.... Ngayon tinanong ko naman (si Apo, Mr. Arana) kung ano ang kasalanan nagawa ni Saro (Lazaro). Ang sabi sa akin nambabae raw. Sinagot ko naman at tinanong tuloy kung gawang kasalanan ang gawang pagaasawa. Sinabi kong legal ang kasal nila at si Itay pa ang ninong. Sinabi ko na noon pang isang linggo ikinasal. Ngunit mayroon daw nagsabi kay Apo na hindi raw (sila) kasal at maari raw patunayan hindi sila kasal.... Itinatanong ko naman kung sino ang nagsabi ngunit ayaw sabihin sa akin ang pangalan. Kaya sinabi ko kay Apo na kung sino man yaon ay ibig lamang magpasama nang kanyang kasamahan. At sabay pakita ng kasamiento nila. Kaya nabigla rin si Apo nang malaman tunay pala ang kasal nila. At yung dalawang araw na palya ni Saro ay mayroon pang bayad. Ako pa ang sinisi (ni Apo) kung bakit hindi ko raw sinabi sa kanya.

At alam mo noong dumating ako noong linggo ay lahat ng kasamahan namin dito ay nagsilapit sa akin at gawan ko raw ng paraan ang nangyari. Ngunit walang makapagsabi sa akin kung sino ang palasumbong. Lahat sila ay nasa akin ang pag-asa tungkol din lamang sa pakikipagusap kay Apo. Mabuti na lamang at napatunayan kong walang kasalanan sila.

Hanggang dito na lamang at hanggang sa muli. Maraming maraming halik sa iyo at kay Junior at Fremma.

Ang iyong mapagmahal na
Fredie Sr.

Note:
Ling, pag-iingatan mo ang iyong sarili at kay Fremma at kay Junior upang sa sandaling kayo ay lumabas na ay maaari na kayong makapunta dito.

Fredie Sr.


University of the Philippines
Diliman, Quezon City
September 25, 1949

My Beloved Ling,

Before I continue with my news let me first ask how you, Junior, Fremma and everyone else are. And before you continue reading, receive my many kisses that are the only thing I can send with this loving letter.

Ling, by God's grace I was able to help Lazaro.... When I asked (Apo, Mr. Arana) what offense was committed by Saro, I was told he hooked up with a woman. I responded and asked if it was a sin to get married. I said his marriage was legal and that Father even stood as sponsor. I said they had been married since last week. But someone had told Apo that they were not married and he could prove it... When I asked who said that, he would not give me the name. So I said that whoever he was he only wanted to get his colleague in trouble. Right then I showed the marriage certificate. Apo was surprised to find out that the marriage was legitimate. The two days that Saro was absent became a paid leave. Then I was blamed for not telling him (Apo about the marriage) earlier.

And you know when I arrived here last Sunday, all my co-workers came to me and asked me to do something about this problem that arose. But no one could tell me who the tattletale was. Everyone depended on me when it came to speaking with Apo. It was a good thing I was able to prove that no one was at fault.

This is all for now and till next time. Many many kisses to you and to Junior and Fremma.

Your loving
Fredie Sr.

Note:
Ling, take care of yourself and Fremma and Junior so that once you can go out, you will be able to come here.

Fredie Sr.

No comments: