Thursday, February 12, 2009

Love Letters, 1949 - Recovery period

In case you didn't know, I'm publishing my parents' love letters (3 more to go after this one) from 1949 to 1952 in honour of their unshaking, exceptional, deeply committed, for-better-or-for-worse, till-death-do-us-part love and devotion to one another that spanned a total of 59 years till my father passed away almost 5 years ago.

It is a marriage that I am blessed to be a product of, and it's a legacy I am proud to have and to share with my children and my children's children. That is a generational blessing, a heritage that God will bless for generations to come because two people held marriage sacred.

To my boys, embrace this blessing! You will reap its fruits. That's the promise.


University of the Philippines
Diliman, Quezon City
September 30, 1949

Ling, Mahal Ko,

Tanggapin mo ang aking pabaun sa liham kong ito. Ang maraming halik at yung lips to lips ha. Sina Junior at Fremma kumusta sila? At kumusta ka naman? Ako'y wala namang karamdaman dito.

Ling, P25.00 lamang ang aking napadala pagkat marami rin naman akong pinagbayaran dito. Uuwi na si Itay sa Oct. 2, 1949 at si Ibing ay babalik daw sa La Union sa Oct. 5, 1949.

Ling, hindi ba ngayon ka maliligo? Dalian mo ang magpalakas upang ako naman dito ay huag tuluyang mangayayat. Alam mo, napupuna na rito ang mabilis na pangayayat ko.

Ling, hindi ko kahahabaan baka wala na akong ibalita sa ibang araw. Kumusta lamang kayong lahat diyan. Huag mong kalilimutan ang pabaon kong halik.

Ang Iyong Naghihintay
Fredie Senior

Note: Pinasama ko si Gening kay Saro para maka vacation naman diyan.



University of the Philippines
Diliman, Quezon City
September 30, 1949

Ling, my Love,

Receive my many kisses with this letter, lips to lips, ok? Junior and Fremma, how are they? And how are you? I am fine here.

Ling, I was able to send 25 pesos only because I have many expenses here too. Father is going home on Oct. 2, 1949 and Ibing is returning to La Union on Oct. 5, 1949.

Ling, aren't you taking a bath today? Regain your strength soon so I won't continue to lose weight here. You know, people are noticing my rapid weight loss.

Ling, I won't make this long because I might have nothing more to say for next time. Just give my regards to everyone there. Don't forget the kisses I'm sending with this.

One who is waiting,
Fredie Senior

Note: I let Gening (my mother's younger sister) go home (to Los Banos) with Saro so she can have a vacation there.



The University of the Philippines police force. That's my father near the middle. (Photo taken in 1952.)

No comments: