Wednesday, January 21, 2009

His name is Earl



Go ahead and hit play. That's Earl Klugh on the guitar playing Driftin' from his album The Spice of Life released last year.

Earl Klugh is one of my earliest favourites. I got to know about him through Pretty World in '79 - '80. I was just beginning to like jazz then. Over the years, my fascination with Earl Klugh grew and waned and grew and waned as my love for jazz gave way to lullabies and nursery rhymes and other things.

Even so, whenever I hear his music, I still feel a connection. It still makes me feel light and quickly sends me to my happy place where I imagine myself sitting or lying on green grass beside a secluded lake on a mountaintop beneath the clear blue sky... I just want to close my eyes.

In the early '80s, when I learned Earl Klugh was performing in the Philippines at the Araneta Coliseum in Cubao, Quezon City, I dragged along a cousin, who was not really interested in jazz nor Earl Klugh, so I could listen to him live. From the bleachers, that was pretty much what you got. There was little to see. It would have been nice to see Earl closer and how his fingers moved swiftly and flawlessly on the guitar, but I was only willing to pay for two bleacher tickets.

I have grown to like other jazz artists and other types of music since the early 80s. I have tucked away my Earl Klugh cassettes and CDs and pretty much forgotten about them until I watched him again recently on a borrowed DVD. I fell in love with his music again and searched for more on Youtube.

Even Gabriel seems to like his music. "Mom, I want to play the sax again," he said.

The other day, I searched Facebook to find a group of Earl Klugh fans. I found Earl Klugh himself and added him as a friend. I was thrilled to bits when he accepted!

"Woo-hooo!" I was so excited. "Is this really Earl Klugh? Is this really you, Earl Klugh?" I kept asking.

"What is Mom woo-hoo-ing about?" Gino asked. He checked the account and it seems for real and not a pretend Earl Klugh like Gabriel was suggesting. Of course, someone else could be managing the account, but I still like to think I am now friends with Earl Klugh! One of his 2,300+ friends on FB.

I wish he could play here in Vancouver someday and I'll get to listen to him again in person, a little closer to the stage.

Here's another one from Earl Klugh. Watch him play this time. This Time.

No comments: