Friday, November 21, 2008

"The more we learn...

...the less we know."

Isn't this the truth? It seems that with knowledge comes ignorance. You realize that, hey, you are not as smart as you thought.

The other day, I was talking about car maintenance with a female colleague who's only a year older than my eldest son.

"When I graduated from university, I thought I knew everything. And then I found out I really didn't know anything. How sad!" she said. "I didn't even know how to make fried rice."

I can relate. I felt that way too. I still do sometimes.

But I think that is good. For one, it keeps you humble. And it makes you teachable. And you become more eager to learn about things you don't know or you thought you had figured out.

It's been decades since I finished school but I am still studying. But this time it's more about acquiring skills and gaining more wisdom to deal with my day-to-day challenges. It's never ending.

Oh, I have so much more to learn.

No comments: