Monday, November 24, 2008

Hummmm

I learned an easy stress relief tip this morning as I was perusing Dr. Oz's website RealAge. According to a Dr. Amy Wechsler, "humming has has been scientifically proved to boost nitric oxide (NO), a nifty little body gas that, in small doses, has a stress-reducing effect."

I like that. I'm a natural hummer. I've blogged about it before. I hum a lot especially while I'm working.

"Mom, do you know what you are humming?" Gino asked me the other night while I was making chicken pot pie.

"It's from James and the Giant Peach," Gabriel, who was playing computer games nearby, replied.

"Why are you humming that?" Gino wondered what made me remember an old tune, which I can't remember now, from the movie that we loved to watch when they were very young. I don't know. I didn't even realize I was humming--again.

According to the article, "humming affects the airflow between the sinuses and the nasal cavity in a way that creates more NO, a gas that promotes wound healing, new collagen formation, and better blood flow in the skin." It further says NO is produced in our respiratory tract and most notably in the sinuses.

It's good to know that there's another stress relief method that won't cost you a penny. It never ceases to amaze me how our body works, and how a simple thing like humming does it good. And I'm already in the habit of doing it!

2 comments:

Tony Mayo said...

Sounds like Western medicine has again rediscovered ancient wisdom. Chanting the yogic "Om" should have the same physiological impact as humming.

lerryblossoms said...

I thought about that. I don't do yoga but, yeah, it's the same principle. I prefer to have a little more music.

Thanks for dropping by.