Monday, October 13, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Today is Canada's Thanksgiving Day. Am I ever so thankful for living in this big beautiful country and for the many blessings I have had the past year.

Last night, we had a potluck dinner at my sister's house with our two families and the latest addition to the clan, her 6-month old granddaughter. It was a happy occasion!

Thanksgiving is one tradition that my family has learned to adopt as immigrants even before we understood the history behind it. We have been celebrating Thanksgiving Day in some way every year, with no reference at all to its original meaning. We are simply thankful.

In case you, like me, didn't know, Canadian Thanksgiving has nothing to do with the pilgrims and the Mayflower that are behind the American Thanksgiving. That's what I thought when we were new here. We were more familiar with the US holiday in November. Now I know that Canada's Thanksgiving Day has to do with being thankful for a bountiful harvest. In Canada, harvest comes earlier than south of the border because of the colder weather. This much I know.

Although my family does not particularly like to eat turkey, we normally eat it on this day because it's the traditional food in every Thanksgiving party. My sister roasted one yesterday. I have not done so myself and I'm okay with serving roast chicken instead, but I will eat turkey, no problem. Just don't make me roast it. Maybe in the distant future.

I made Sticky Ribs with Sweet Potatoes, a recipe I found on the Internet. I don't usually make and bring an untried recipe to a party. Yesterday was a good attempt. I was pleased with the result.

I also made creamy pumpkin soup. Pumpkin is abundant this time of year. I had never thought about cooking pumpkin because I always saw it more as Halloween decor rather than a vegetable. I only know kalabasa. But when my friends Ric and Loida were here, they mentioned pumpkin was good to make into soup especially if you use a food processor. So for the first time, I made a dish out of pumpkin yesterday and it actually turned out well. Now I want to try other things with it.

The other day, we went to a cranberry festival in Fort Langley where I bought fresh cranberries for the first time. Gino made cranberry sauce with them. So easy! I think I will make my own cranberry sause from now on instead of getting the processed one.

So this was how our Thanksgiving Day went. On Friday we are going to have another celebration with our friends this time. I have endless reasons to be thankful. And another thankful celebration isn't a bad idea.

No comments: