Sunday, August 10, 2008

The road to Tofino

The distance between Nanaimo to Tofino is 208 kms one way. From Nanaimo to Ucluelet, it is 182 kms. The drive to Ucluelet/Tofino is one of the most picturesque I've seen here. Pristine forests, mountains, rocks, lakes, inlets, rushing stream... "Super Natural British Columbia" indeed.

After the town of Port Alberni, the mountain highway stretches on, long and winding, sometimes zigzagging, up, down... Not a house in sight. Just pure wilderness. Make sure you have enough gas in your vehicle to last you for at least 85 kms after the last one in Port Alberni I think.

We stopped at a rest area in Taylor Arm. While BudBlossoms tried to catch some sleep, the buds and I found a little lake with shining water tucked between the restrooms and the forest.


The water is ice cold though, otherwise, my boys would be jumping in. Maybe I would too.

Instead, we just watched the fish.





"Oh there's a big one!" I pointed excitedly to a fish about one foot long. I couldn't say if it was a salmon or a trout. "Could a bear be far behind?" I kidded. Just then, nearby, we saw the head and tail of a big fish under the water.


This could be the work a bear indeed. Who eats fish like this? I started to feel uneasy.

Before leaving the rest area, we took more pictures including this one of me.


"My mom flirting with a First Nations mask," Gino said in his Facebook. Hahaha.

(to be continued)

No comments: