Thursday, June 05, 2008

To drink or not to drink

"Mom, don't we drink because it is sin or because we just don't?" Markus asked me the other while he was doing his homework on the dining table and I was cooking in the kitchen. As if he was even of drinking age...

I thought for a moment. "Well... the Bible says do not get drunk. It doesn't say do not drink. I drink wine sometimes... And wine can be good," I replied. "But the Bible says our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit... You have to take care of your body," I added. "Do you understand what I'm saying?" I heard a faint no.

"It's not a matter of right or wrong, or sin or not sin. It's a matter of wise or unwise," I continued. "Alcohol can be very addicting..."

I was still not about to stop. "Also, you have to be careful who sees you when you are drinking. If you are with someone who will get offended to see you drinking, then you shouldn't. Do you know what I mean?"

"What are you saying?" Markus said.

"Well, some people get offended when we drink," I said. I was referring to those who in my opinion have overly sensitive consciences or take a more rigid outlook on drinking, also in my opinion. "In that case, you shouldn't drink. You should think of how it will affect others and not only yourself."

I was not really sure how much of this conversation was sinking in. Markus was busy writing or drawing. I was yakking from the kitchen. I do hope however that some things I said penetrated his consciousness or subconsciousness, and when he is of age to make a choice to drink or not to drink, he will make the WISE one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"You can only lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink." I guess the inverse should say something like "You can tell your kid all you want not to drink but it will still be up to the kid to not want to drink." Unfortunately, we cannot be there when they are under peer pressure to drink. We parents can only hope that we have already instilled in our kids the right attitude towards drinking before they are confronted by it.

However, with my kids, your "... be careful who sees you when you are drinking ..." would be the weakest argument I could present against drinking. I could almost hear the counter arguments that "they are not going to do anything just to please others" or "they don't have anything to prove to other people", etc. etc. In other words, their decision to drink or not drink will have to come from within them, not from any external pressure.

LHB

lerryblossoms said...

Exactly! That's the way I look at it. When you decide beforehand that you will do or not do something out of consideration for others, even if they don't have a clue about it, or even if they don't demand it from you, I think that is a decision driven more from your yourself rather than from the outside. Now, if you do or don't do something because others say so then that's external pressure, and that's not what I mean. Just my thoughts.