Saturday, July 28, 2007

Herbilicious



My vegetable garden is teeming with life these days. As some of you might remember, I started gardening last year. I didn't know much about it--I still don't--so it's hit or miss. When anything grows and bears fruit, for me that's a big achievement. A literal fruit of my labour.

In spring of 2006, I planted mostly herbs and vegetables. They lasted till the middle of autumn and totally disappeared in the winter. I never bothered to check my garden again till mid-spring of 2007.

What a big surprise to see my old parsley and broccoli plants growing with the weeds. They looked even healthier and sturdier than last year. I didn't know they were perennials. I was elated. I couldn't believe my plants survived the winter!


They're back!!

When the weather improved, I worked the soil again. I used two bags of mushroom manure on the garden plots. I got potting soil for the pots and planters. I planted different seeds and seedlings. Green beans, thyme, sage, cinnamon basil, fennel, dill, tomatoes, cilantro, spinach, pepper... When I realized I had parsley, sage and thyme, I went back to the garden centre to look for rosemary. Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.... Now it feels complete.


No, I'm not going to Scarborough Fair...


Not everything sprouted, but the herbs and green beans are growing well. I have harvested a good amount of parsley, a few beans and broccoli flowerets, and used up the cilantro.


So this is how broccoli grows!



These green beans don't grow too tall.

Showing no signs of life for many weeks, one of my planters started to come alive. I assumed the new sprouts were the pepper seeds I planted a long time ago. So I transferred some to separate pots and to vacant spaces between herbs and vegetables. Now about two weeks later, I'm beginning to get suspicious. They don't look like pepper. Maybe I planted something else? Or could they be weeds? I have no idea.


Unidentified growing objects

In any case, I will keep watering these unidentified plants until I know for sure. If they turn out to be edible, I have a lot to harvest. If they turn out to be weeds, I have a lot to laugh about. It's win-win!

What seems tough to win is my battle against pests that eat young shoots and leaves. I don't use pesticide and I can't spend too much time killing these critters. I just hope my plants grow faster than the pests could kill them. Fortunately, the pests don't seem to like herbs. Only the beans and broccoli leaves.

Back to my unidentified plants, if you know what they are, please let me know and spare me the suspense.

No comments: