Thursday, April 26, 2007

Hair it goes

I finally did it! Had a haircut last night. Now my hair is just below my jawline from just above my waist. It took me about three years to grow that hair since I had it permed and layered in the Philippines.

As a child, my hair was long at the back, often with bangs in front. My mother took care of styling it. I had my first haircut at age 13 or 14. People said that once you cut your hair short, it would be difficult to grow it again. Nagtatampo. For me, it was never a problem.

Coming here, I found out that a haircut cost a lot (by my standard). I rarely went to the parlour. And because my hair grew fast, I could easily have long hair within 2 years or so.

A few years ago, I thought I could put my thick hair to good use. I planned to donate it to the BC Cancer Society. When my hair was long enough, I learned that only untreated hair was acceptable. Mine had been dyed at that time, so my plan fell through.

This time I managed to keep my unsightly gray hairs undyed for a long time. My cut hair is now sealed in an envelop ready to send to a wig company in Vancouver and donated to a cancer patient or patients. I hope the wig company would find it acceptable. It is more than 8 inches long, which is the minimum requirement.

Learning my reason for having a haircut, the parlour owner gave me a discount. Now she too is planning to encourage her clients to donate their hair.

There is a group at my office that regularly donates blood. Their motto is “It’s in you to give.” With a tendency to be anemic, I am not inclined to donate blood. But my hair is good resource and it’s ON me to give.

3 comments:

LHB said...

Hi Tita Lerie,

I guess it's time to update the profile picture. :)

LHB

lhb said...

Tita Lerie,

"It's better to give than to receive!" After donating your hair, your new look is of one at least 10 years younger. :)

lerryblossoms said...

thanks! it's amazing what a haircut can do. people at work have been coming up to me and saying the same thing. i must have looked really old with my long hair. bye bye long hair!