Tuesday, January 30, 2007

My chopsticks diet

(First off, I will say that this diet is something I “cooked up” only for myself. It has no research or medical support whatsoever. There. Just a little caveat.)

About two years ago, I saw a picture of myself seated at a Christmas party and looking 5 months pregnant in a loose black top. The cut of the blouse and the angle at which the picture was taken conspired to create the illusion. Either that or I was in denial. Regardless, I decided to shed some weight in 2005.

Gym. Green tea. Diet. Chopsticks diet.

Chopsticks diet?

In my very practical way of thinking, it occurred to me that the easiest way to limit my food intake was to make it more tedious for me to eat. Hence, the chopsticks. Like most Filipinos, I grew up eating with a spoon and fork if not with my bare hands, not chopsticks. Here in Canada, we have chopsticks at home for those occasional times when I make sushi. But we are still a diehard spoon-and-fork family.

When I decided to start on a chopsticks diet, indeed, it took me a lot more effort to have my fill. Have you tried eating rice and sinigang, or rice and abobo, or some other Filipino dish with two sticks? Try it.

I was on this chopsticks diet for some time, then for whatever reason I reverted back to the spoon and fork. Maybe I got better with the chopsticks. Maybe I got tired of picking up cooked rice from a soupy plate. Maybe I had met my target weight loss (which I did! Lost some 12 pounds). I forgot about the chopsticks. Until recently.

“Boys, when you set the table, give me chopsticks and a small plate again,” I told Gabriel and Markus, the family’s designated tablesetters, the other night. So now the chopsticks are back. I get to eat slower, and fewer, and longer. Solves the problem of some poor eating habits mentioned in my previous blog.

No comments: