Friday, January 12, 2007

Lemon

I’m a big lemon fan. I can hardly drink water without squeezing a slice of lemon in it. I’ve been doing this for a few months now.

When I was new at my work here, my department would occasionally eat out together. Wanting to blend in, I would observe and copy what people ordered. Ladies would ask for lemon water. I would too.

The FOB that I was, I began ordering lemon water for no other reason than to seem more “Canadian”. (Get a grip, woman. That’s just a glass of sour water.) Then later, I realized that lemon water was a cheap way of ordering a drink that was between plain water and juice or pop. At least you get a slight taste of juice for free, and you drink more than bland water. Cheap cheap cheap! I could hear Gabriel chirping.

When I started to give up pop, not only because it was a useless additional expense when dining out but was not a healthy choice as well, I began to see lemon water as a better alternative. Thus started a habit of asking for lemon water in restaurants outside of office lunches.

Then I came across Internet articles on the benefits of lemon to your health and hygiene. I brought the habit home. Lemon juice supposedly raises the alkalinity of water and makes it pH neutral. I know someone who bought a $4,000 filter that alkalises water, which as a result could supposedly cure all sorts of body aliments. She told us how acidic tap water was and that bottled water was not any better. In fact, she ran it through a test to prove her point. Impressive! However, I don't have 4 grand. I think I will stick to my lemon and let it do the alkalysing.

Let me quote from the website of Energies for Life,

Apart from being an amazing body alkalizer/alkaliser, lemon water also gives the following health benefits:
• Lemons are antiseptic
• Lemon water has excellent digestive properties and can ease heartburn, bloating and other digestion problems
• Lemon water cleanses and stimulates the liver and kidneys
• Lemon juice contains calcium, magnesium and potassium
• Lemon juice has been known to relieve asthma
• Lemon water (hot) offers relief from cold and flu symptoms while providing some much needed Vitamin C
• Lemon juice is a great skin cleanser
So if you do not do anything else - start every single day with a glass of lovely lemon water!


Since reading this and other articles like it, I’ve been drinking mostly lemon water. At night, I prepare two bottles and keep them on the kitchen counter overnight so by morning they are at nice room temperature. I bring one bottle to the gym at 6am. The bigger bottle I take to work to drink the whole day. Sometimes, I prepare a pitcher of lemon water at home so the rest of the family can drink it too. I am still trying to get them to like it or get used to it.

I use lemon for other things. I take previously squeezed lemon slices to my bathroom for grooming purposes. My kids used to tease me about this. Mom sprays lemon on her armpits. No, I don’t. I squeeze it on my hair after a shower to make my hair shiny and massage the juice on my scalp to prevent flakes. Then I rub whatever remains of the lemon on my underarm, hahaha. Good to the last pulp bit! Poor lemon. I might even rub it on and around the sink and faucets.

If lemon has so many benefits, then why is it used call a bad car? I wonder...

4 comments:

drmike said...

Lemon Juice an ALKALIZER????? I don't THINK so. Lemons are acidic, containing both citric acid and ascorbic acid at a pH of about 2.5. There is no way under the sun that lemon water is an alkalizer. Additionally, the extensive misinformation you read regarding the benefits of lemon water is nothing more than urban myth and typical internet snake oil BS which is usually accompanied by a long list of products to buy to supposedly help you maintain the ideal pH.

Bottom line: if you like the lemon water, drink it. It most certainly is better for you than pop. Don't justify it with pseudoscientific jargon, just enjoy it.

lerryblossoms said...

hey drmike, wow you did read through my posts to get to this one. i researched some more and found even more articles saying that lemon is an alkalyzing food. i'm not the expert and i'm not selling anything or getting sucked into buying any commercial product. so take it or leave it. blessings on you.

tougar@gmail.com said...

lemon juice is acidic; however, it
transforms to alkaline in the stomach. It is probably the best and cheapest of all ALKALIZERS.

lerryblossoms said...

i agree!