Friday, June 16, 2006

Plastic

“Mom, did we have a better car in the Philippines?” Gabriel asked me this morning on our way to their school.

“Yes,” I said. “We had a new ’93 Honda Civic. We got it the year you were born.” The Honda Accord I currently drive is ’91.

“Yeah, I can still remember the seat covered in plastic,” Mickey recalled. We had a good laugh about it. “Mom, is that a Filipino thing, the plastic?” Mickey asked. He mentioned that the sofa set in the house of his Filipino friend here was still covered in plastic.

“I think so,” I answered. Then I recalled how we. when I was still single, used to have a nice velvety orange living room set which we kept covered in plastic until the plastic got brittle and quite torn. Only then did we actually enjoy the couch's nice velvet feel. I remember that so well. I chose the set with my parents.

The plastic covering can make you all sweaty in the hot weather of the Philippines but it keeps the furniture (or the car seat) looking new longer. It protects the seat too especially when there are kids. Besides, there's too much dust in the air. I think we kept the plastic on our Honda Civic until we got car seat covers.

This plastic tradition is probably uniquely ours. It is so common among Filipino homes that it was parodied in the Pinoy sitcom Abangan and Susunod na Kabanata.

“I think we are the only culture who does that, Mom,” Mickey said.

I think so too. But here, I wouldn’t think twice about discarding it assuming I’ll get a living room set brand new. Nah. I like what I already have.

6 comments:

lhb said...

It once took me 10 years to convince my wife to take off the plastic wrap on a couple of lampshades. She insisted it was part of the design.

Some things are just meant to be enjoyed. I hated to buy new cars because it makes me feel that I have to be very, very careful with them - parking at the far end of the mall, away from the door bangers. I'm still driving a 1986 Dodge Caravan. For the first 12 years, I only used it for summer and stored it indoors for the winter. I bought rusty clunkers for winter driving. Now, the Caravan has more than 300,000 kms in it but the body is still perfectly rust-free. However, I find it hard sometimes to buy parts for it. The catalog listings for things like windshield wipers at Canadian Tire, for example, may only go as far back as about 1990.

lerryblossoms said...

i can totally relate!!

lhb said...

Nice new profile picture! It just reinforces your latest posting about you always smiling and laughing at almost anything. :-) Pero kaninong tenga yong na-chop sa right side? Hahaha!

How are you doing in your quest for a video editor? I just read from the Montreal Gazette about a website that lets you upload and edit movies - www.jumpcut.com

However, I still haven't tried it. I'm getting such slow response. I don't know if it's because of my old laptop or their site is just slow. Maybe you could try it and tell me about it.

Maybe, for your first project you can edit out Markus' ear in your profile photo. :-)

I hope di ka pa napipikon sa akin.

lerryblossoms said...

ah you make me laugh :-)

lerryblossoms said...

pixela doesn't seem to work for me (or i can't make it work). jumpcut is simpler. i still don't have lots of videos to upload and edit so i haven't really played around with the programs. maybe this summer. thanks for the tip on jumpcut and the pic!

lhb said...

Buti ka pa, you have already tried jumpcut pala. I still can't get logged in! So you like it? I have to try and connect from a faster computer somewhere.