Friday, April 07, 2006

Spring forward

For me, this must be hardest time of the year when we move our clock one hour ahead. It’s been five days now but I still have to get used to the new time and longer days. I feel unusually tired and sleepy most of the day.

Apart from this, spring is my favourite season. I like the sense of beginning and things springing back to life. I love the cherry blossoms, white, light pink, dark pink… (Is it any wonder that I named myself lerryblossoms?) Other trees are in full bloom too. I call them all cherry blossoms. They could be apple, or maple, for all I care. My city is full of early blooms these days. Late bloomers are coming up. How wonderful!

This year I started early on my spring cleaning. I must have started early February sorting out filing cabinets, drawers and closets. I have bagged many clothes and other items for charity, and discarded a lot of garbage. I am not completely done. I expect to do stuff till the summer. It is overwhelming just thinking about it.  

Since I am not a neat freak and an obsessive-compulsive cleaner, I am happy to be able to do one nook of the house at a time. Even this takes up hours. When I sorted my two-drawer filing cabinet that contains documents and other paper stuff collected over the last year, it took me about six hours, till past midnight.

Recently, my brother-in-law in Seattle came up to change our main floor from carpet to laminate wood and the foyer floor to ceramic tiles. It was a big job and there are still finishing touches left to do. Not only that, this has led to more home projects in the pipeline like painting the base boards and newly installed quarter rounds, changing doors, installing vents, and what-have-you. It’s good to have a handyman in the family to help do major repairs. I know my limits. I have a lot of patience for and perseverance in manual jobs, but I don’t have enough skills.

I am so happy, winter is over. It’s time to come out of hibernation and start flexing those muscles. I am looking forward to a busy spring and summer.

No comments: