Monday, January 30, 2006

Taking responsibility

I was busy cooking and cleaning in the kitchen when Markus came down and excitedly said, “Mom, this is the messiest I’ve seen our room!” They were cleaning up as well.

“Somebody has to take responsibility for it being that way,” I replied.” “So who’s taking responsibility?”

“I do!” he said without batting an eyelash.

“Good for you!” I told him as he left to go back up. At least he was not in denial. And he took responsibility.

Now I’m looking at my bedroom. It’s quite a mess too. “So who’s taking responsibility?” you ask me. I want to point fingers. My kids hang out here to do their homework, watch TV, go on the computer… but at the end of the day I still have to say “I am” or like Markus, “I do!” and take responsibility. I was negligent and lazy, I was procrastinating…I put things where they don’t belong… I will do something about this chaos, starting right now!

No comments: