Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Eat all you can

The one complaint I frequently hear around the house is that there’s nothing to eat. “Nothing” could mean 1) nothing that they like, 2) nothing that needs no preparation, or 3) nothing on the table or on the stove. The truth is, there is always something to eat in the kitchen, fridge or cupboard. Even when we are running low on supplies, there is always something edible for anyone who cares to look or cook. No one has to get hungry till my next grocery shopping.
 
My boys looove to eat. They are growing and so are their appetites. I enjoy watching them gobble up whatever I cook. There are times, however, when I just serve leftovers from the previous meal or something ready-to-eat from the supermarket. Weekday breakfast is usually something quick and light. Over dinner last night, Gino said that perhaps we should have a normal breakfast so he would be motivated to wake up early.
 
“We always have bread in the morning,” I said. There are at least four kinds of sandwich spreads in the fridge, usually there are cold cuts and eggs too. I alternate these with oatmeal or champorado (chocolate rice porridge). When there’s time, I make French toast or pancakes from scratch. I also prepare sliced cantaloupe with peach yogurt, a combination that I love.
 
“We don’t like bread, Mom,” they chorused.
 
I believe they prefer a Filipino breakfast of rice and a viand. Not your western breakfast of toast and jam or cereals.
 
Having all boys at home, I don’t imagine I will ever have to deal with anorexia or bulimia. I won't say the same of gluttony…
 
Last Saturday, I cooked a big pot of chicken arroz caldo. It’s a reliable one-dish-meal like Chinese fried rice and Kenyan rice pilau.
 
“This is my number one favourite, Mom,” Markus said as I served him a hot bowl of  arroz caldo. “My number two favourite is siomai.”
 
So last night, I prepared a big batch of pork siomai (dumpling). I cooked half in broth with a bunch of pechay leaves. The other half, I steamed and served with soy sauce and lemon, dimsum style, because Gabriel did not want the soupy kind.
 
Back to Markus’s list of favourite foods, he had a third one.
 
“My number three favourite after arroz caldo and siomai is all-you-can-eat buffet,” he said.
 
If that were a dish, then it would be everyone’s top favourite. Every meal I prepare is like all-you-can-eat. And, boy, do they eat all they can.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs. Blossoms,

Boy, you must wake up early in the morning to find time to make pancakes from scratch and also get yourself ready for work. :) I used to do that too, but I prepared the batter before going to bed.

A lot of times, though, we would all oversleep and we would all be hurrying. A sure winner I found, was peanut butter with banana. Slapped quickly between two slices of bread, packed with orange juice in a leak-proof tumbler and we were ready to drive off to school. On mornings that we were late, the kids used to eat that in the car while I drive them to school.

One thing I found was, if you want them to eat anything, get them involved in the preparation. I found that they'd eat celery sticks with their packed school lunch, for example, if they helped to make them. Cut them in bite-size lengths, then let them squeeze cream cheese (Cheeze Wiz) and put some raisins on top for pretend "ants" - Ants on a Log - they used to call them.

LHB

lerryblossoms said...

gabriel and markus occasionally help in the kitchen, cutting veggies, mixing batter, peeling potatoes, etc. i let them even if it gets in my way of doing things faster and cleaner. but,hey, any initiative is a good thing. last night i had a meeting and the two cooked a box of mac and cheese each. "i'm so proud of you!" i gushed. it was their first time to do it. they just followed the instructions on the box. they must have been really hungry... or they read this blog :-)

LHB said...

Macaroni and cheese? wow! pretty soon they'd also be cooking Jello for dessert. :) :)

Good start. Before you know it your boys will be cooking dinuguan or kaldereta.

LHB