Sunday, November 27, 2005

Gino turns 19


Gino turned 19 this month. Am I that old already? I still feel 23… Pardon the cliché, but it seems like only yesterday...

When I found out I was pregnant with Gino, I tendered my resignation at work so I could concentrate on my pregnancy and motherhood. But my director wouldn’t let me go. He enticed me to avail of a one-year economic leave after my two-month maternity leave was up to give me enough time to think about it. Not a bad bait. The economic leave was something new at that time, given to staff who went to the Middle East to work and might want to come back to the jobs they left behind. I accepted the offer even if I wasn’t going anywhere nor earning any dollar. I loved working at the University and prolonging my stay there in this way wasn’t really a bad idea.

Before Gino was born, I regularly did my Lamaze exercises, watched my diet, and drank tea made from boiled roots of damong mutha, something handed down by my maternal ancestors. I wanted to have an easy birth and avoid a C-section. I was determined to go natural. I was scared of anaesthetics, sleeping through childbirth and not waking up again, or waking up a vegetable. I also didn’t want to drug my baby. There was another reason: the cheap in me would rather go through childbirth pains than through financial hemorrage that St. Luke’s Hospital might deal me if I incurred additional costs related to having an epidural, etc. (anaesthesiologist’s fee, medical supplies...) and stayed longer in recovery. I wanted to leave my semi-private room as quickly as I could. Natural was the cheap way to go, barring complications.

Believe me, I saved quite a sum! But I endured a lot. My labour pains were horrible, indescribable, almost unbearable. I wished they had said it like it was at Lamaze class instead of minimizing the pain aspect of giving birth. Midway, I wanted to give up. I forgot the most important thing in managing birth pains, which was finding one immovable focal point at the height of contractions and staring at that one thing alone while doing the breathing techniques…

After giving birth, I didn’t really remain unemployed because I was offered to manage one of my in-laws’ neighbourhood auto supply stores. When Gino was probably 2 or 3 months old, we moved to a tiny one-bedroom, or rather one-room, pad connected to the store by a two-way washroom. This was where Gino would spend the next few months of his life – in an auto supply store.

I didn’t know a thing about car parts and I was intimidated by rough jeepney drivers, I was really useless as a store manager. I didn't want to be out in front talking with mostly male customers. I just watched the cash register and counted the sales at the end of the day. Even if I basically left the customer service to our workers, I had to be in the store too, with my baby. I was determined to make this place, surrounded by bolts and nuts, filters, spark plugs and engine oil, a teaching environment for baby Gino.

Our store sold reflectorized stickers people put on their bumpers as a warning device. These hung colourfully at the store front – bright red, bright orange, bright blue, bright green… Holding Gino in front of me, I would point to each of these neon colours and say their names repeatedly. Orange! Red! Green! Blue! He would look at each one with wide eyes. I let him feel them too. Smooth! No, I didn’t let him taste motor oil or touch grease to teach him Yucky! or Goo!

I would sit him on the front counter as vehicles went by. Car! Jeep! Truck! Motorcycle!! It kept Gino stimulated.

The only other place to hang out besides the store front was an open space at the back outside our house. It was a driveway leading to the neighbour’s house. There was hardly anything to see there but concrete ground, a few potted plants and the neighbour’s doghouse with a dog that was loud and hyper. I would take Gino out there, sit or walk him around, which was really just a few steps altogether. The dog was always an object lesson. Dog! I said over and over. At 8 months, Gino said his first word, and not surprisingly, it was dog, or do, at first.

Gino talked quite early. Maybe it was the books that we often read to him from pregnancy. Or the classical music we played by my tummy. Or the frequent conversation we had with him even before he was born. By his first birthday, he could say more than 20 words. My niece Nikki and I actually counted as much as we had heard from him at the time. Two months later, I counted more than a hundred! Believe me, I am not exaggerating. By 2 years old, he was talking straight. People, including strangers, would stop and ask how old he was. His language was definitely too advanced for his puny size. He didn’t do baby talk and I wish we had a camcorder back then to record it.

I remember travelling to my father’s hometown when Gino was probably 4. The trip took about 8 hours. We adults took turns responding to Gino as he was probably talking three-fourths of the way. He was like a radio, except that you couldn’t change the station nor lower the volume.

When he first watched the movie The Never-Ending Story, he loved to re-tell its plot. His grandparents said he was never-ending. Gino went on and on and on. They were delighted and astounded.

Today, Gino is 19 and still talks a lot, is smart, and has strong opinions about many things. We talk about various subjects, although we don't always take the same side. He loves languages. Learns Greek and Hebrew on his own, I think Latin and Italian too. He speaks French learned at school and as an exchange student in Quebec last year. Can understand some Spanish, also from school. Still fluent in Tagalog. I think God has gifted him with a flair for words, and I will not be surprised if He will use this for some significant undertaking someday.

I believe Gino will go far, geographically and otherwise. I pray that God would bring out all his potentials and make his life count. I give him my blessings to go out there and conquer, and fulfill the great purpose assigned to him by his Maker.

PS. To my three other sons, don’t worry, you will each have your turn and your own PR piece by Mom… No playing favourites here, okay? After all, you all came from the same tummy, with your own stories!

9 comments:

Gino said...

awww...this is my favourite blog.
Greek is spelled wrong. hehe.

Gino said...

and when you said you felt like you were still 23, you were actually 27 when you had me. hahaha.

lerryblossoms said...

gino, you just proved my point :-)

Mr. Buttinski said...

Gino, it's not nice to give out your Mom's age! Bisto! :)

Mrs. Blossoms, the narrative on your experience with labor pains is very timely with me. My daughter just went thru hers last week. I've never felt so helpless watching her suffer thru every contraction and see her bravely concentrating on her breathing exercise.

You reminded me of another reason to be thankful we're in Canada. We didn't have to worry about any expense with my daughter's hospital stay. Everything was covered by Medicare - epidural, c-section and all. Is it still the norm in the Philippines to have only two months maternity leave? My wife had 6 months maternity leave 31 years ago "courtesy" of the unemployment insurance system.

Happy birthday, Gino! and good luck to all the mothers.

LHB

lerryblossoms said...

my age is really no big deal. i still feel 23... i have no idea how long mat leaves are in the phils today. if i were already in canada during my childbearing years, i would still probably give birth the natural way. there's no feeling like it. and soon as it's over, it's a natural high!!!

mr. buttinski said...

You're right. You didn't say you were 23. What you said was you "still feel 23 ..." And you are just as old (or as young?) as you feel. :)

Have you ever found any "damong mutha" tea in Vancouver? I think that would be something very useful here. Even my mother, and every mother I knew from Batangas, swore by it. I have found some tea bags of "alagaw" sold in Chinatown but they are very rare. I don't remember what alagaw is good for.

I could just picture you telling Gino, "Car, Gino!" with every passing car. I used to do the same with my daughters. Up to now, I would ocassionally kid my younger daughter when we're out for a drive in the country, "Monica, look! cows!" and when we find dark brown cows, "Monica, look chocolate-milk cows!" Monica is now twenty-something.

(See, Gino? I try not to give out a lady's age.) :) :)

LHB

Gino said...

women should learn to come to terms with their age and it's their problem if their not comfortable with it. if they were born fifty years ago, then they were born fifty years ago. immutable.
but age has nothing to do with vitality. so live.

Christine said...

happpy birthday kuya gino!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

so yah, i think i missed greeting you on your bday gino.. but wow! youre 19 already... i can still remember the days when your Kuya LA and I used to stay at your place at fairview every summer and you pee on the air bed that u, mickey, LA and I used to share. hahaha!
kuya EA...