Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Tough questions

“I don’t get it, Mom,” Markus told me as he stood by my bedroom door. “What’s the point of living if you’re only going to waste it by dying?”

Tough question for a 9-year-old. Tough for many adults, too.

I believe I wondered about this myself when I was in Grade 4. I can say exactly where I was and what I was doing when it hit me. I was walking along the corridor of the U.P. Elementary School when I was suddenly gripped by this mind-boggling question.

Like Markus, I didn't get it either. It didn’t make sense to me.

So here I was, trying to answer a complex question in a language Markus could appreciate. He sat at the bedside and we had a little discourse.

“You know, God made us to live for Him and to enjoy Him forever...” We talked about heaven and hell and how faith in Christ made the difference for the two thieves who were crucified alongside Jesus. Markus had a few more questions; I didn't pass up this opportunity for a simplified theological discussion. No, not when I had a captive audience.

My prayer is that none of my boys will waste his life on all sorts of vices and godless pursuits. I hope they realize you don’t have to die to waste it.

No comments: