Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Pie for thought

A mother’s love is not like a pie that you can cut up so each child gets a slice. Each child gets the whole pie! Now don’t ask me how this works. It’s just how it is and I believe I’m speaking for most moms.

However, even if I love my boys with the same deep level of affection and high level of commitment, I treat them differently. One size doesn’t fit all.

It sounds ironic but I think it is unfair to treat all your children the same. (Of course, children won't understand it this way.) They have different ages, personalities, needs, likes, dislikes, talents, gifts, idiosyncracies. They are different people. I have to adjust accordingly. Yes, we have certain house rules and family values that go for everyone, but beyond that, I have to give room for everyone’s individual quirks.

This can be very challenging and a lot of work. I have to keep abreast with what’s going on in everyone’s life and continually connect with them individually. It’s no easy task considering that they are in a constant state of change inside and out. I admit I don’t have it all figured out. It’s hard to keep up.

Some people, upon knowing I have four boys, give me the look that says, “How in the world do you live with that?” Some actually ask it. Recently I had someone tell me, “Hats off to you.” Others have told me “Congratulations.” To me they all sounded like “Good luck.”

I do not count on luck. Every morning I ask God’s favour on my children and pray for each one by name. I ask for wisdom and strength and every other ingredient that will go into my pie for the day. Then I go about baking it.

No comments: