This is a story about a stupid toilet seat.
When we moved to our own townhouse two years ago, I felt very repulsed by the knowledge that others have sat on our toilet for years and years. I cleaned it very well with disinfectant stuff, but some old stains on the toilet seat wouldn’t go away. I had always planned to get a new seat but only got around to doing so a week ago. Since Gino was looking to earn some money for the summer, I delegated the installation to him as part of the deal.
Gino successfully removed the right hinge of the old seat but got stuck with the left. The thick plastic nut that secured the metal rod was so encrusted, it wouldn’t budge. Rust must have accumulated inside and around it for more than three decades. I guess it was the original seat installed when the townhouse was constructed.
I checked the left hinge myself and vainly tried to loosen the connecting rod and nut with lots of lube oil then used a pair of pliers, then a flat nose, a utility knife, a wrench. Nothing worked.
Because of the bowl’s position, it was very difficult to work on its left side. It was too close to the wall. I usually found myself cheek-to-cheek with the bowl whenever I had to peek under it. It was becoming a pain in the you-know-where.
For days, I worked on the nut and the rod that secured the seat. I became almost obsessive. I worked on it late at night, early in the morning, and times in between. The despicable nut was driving me nuts!
It had become a challenge. I can do this. I will not give up. This thing will give before I do. My hands hurt from the pressure of using the pliers everyday. It was the only thing I could hold down there. After many unsuccessful attempts, I began to entertain changing the toilet bowl itself to get rid of the stubborn seat.
A bright idea dawned on me when I saw Gino drilling his leather belt one night. The nut was plastic, therefore, it could be drilled. Yes! I was sure a series of holes would weaken it enough, and then it could be pried open or torn apart.
Gino got the idea. He began to work on it the next day. However, with drill in hand, body contorted, and powdery rust falling beneath the seat, it was hard for him to stay in that position for a long time. He had to work in increments till the following day.
Finally, Gino called me at work one afternoon. He had successfully pulled that thing out. We were ecstatic. Congratulations! Celebrate! And let me add, Answered prayer! It sounds ridiculous, but I did send several distress signals to heaven in desperation. God pleaase help….
I was so relieved when the hinge was finally loosened. Gone was the constipated feeling of frustration. This toilet now has a nice, padded seat. Great comfort for you-know-when.